Sunday, January 22, 2006

You want an update, you get an update

Due to overwhelming requests from avid readers of the blog for updates as to what I've been doing here in Goa (namely a solitary SMS from mum). I have come back to the internet cafe, sandy thongs and all to debrief on my movements. Don't worry I'm not going to talk about Delhi Belly if that's what you're thinking.

Well Goa was a harder nut to crack than I anticipated, and although I'm not really exploring the state very much I have finally settled down into somewhat of a routine. Going to bars at night is expensive, guys are charged upwards of 400Rs entry (about $12AUD - girls in for free) so getting connections on the inside of the only happening place nearby was essential to my finances, striking up a deep friendship with one the more friendly waiters has now ensured me to get in for free, (it was either the friendship or the generous tip). I have also deciphered the best eateries and hang out locations, selected of course on two important criteria, make that one, architecture. Clean lines, clean floors and location. Early evenings are spend sitting over a Sprite overlooking the beach talking with the Nepalese waiters about their country.

Well there is still some sunshine left and my time is up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

Why arent you posting any more photos? Everyone in the office loves it when i pin up the latest shot of you with some temple in the background! Im staring a kind of 'Shrine to Rob' theme going, People who walk past my desk (oh yes, its mine now) always ask how your going...

And about the beard

he he he....

Rob said...

I haven't really been carrying my camera with me lately and it has been hard to find internet cafes with USB ports, most are still running 486s believe it or not. I will endeavor to get some photos up soon. As for the beard: it was removed last Tuesday but I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know a replacement is well on the way. NOW GET BACK TO WORK!

Anonymous said...

I do not understand why you are discussing Nepal with waiters in India is that the same as discussing copy hand bags with shop keepers from Paris!

Rob said...

Well Lulu, if tha is your real name, due to the situation in Nepal at the moment, many of the young Nepalese have left the country they see falling apart arun them. Talking to these guys is a good way of learning about there lifes and feelings about the rise of the Maoists and the current issue regarding the king.

If yu compare this very serious issue to handbag shopping, you are very much mistaken.