Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Jodhpur, the fort and the city blue

Today, waking up sick I decided to take it easy and sleep in a little. By 10:30 however it was time to get out and spend my last day in Jodhpur at its greatest attraction, Meherangarh. The Meherangarh is the fort palace locateded on a hilltop with sheer walls 125m tall in some parts. The fort was the best one I've been to here in India. Admission includes a free audio tour and this proved to be a fantastic way to experience the fort and really get a better feel for the history and significance of the place.

From up on the top of the fort the view of Jodpur was stunning. Jodhpr is known as The Blue City as the colour blue originally significed the residence of Brahmin, a special group of Rajputs, but now everyone is free to paint their homes and shops blue. After my wonder around the fort and a session with the astrologer it was time to explore the blue maze.

A quick terrifying tuk-tuk ride downhill soon found me in the heart of the old blue city where as usual I followed the crowds and found my way into the real innards of the place. As in other cities I've visited the streets where filled with children all happy to see me and asking my name and for a photo. Boys played cricket and girls practiced their english. It seemed that every srface had been treated with a thick coat of aqua-marine paint and the streets seemed to glow in the warm afternoon sun. Getting lost was easy, getting back to a main road proved more of a challenge.

I will try to get photos up as soon as i can find an internet cafe with USB.

No comments: