Thursday, January 05, 2006

Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan

Well it has definitely been a wild ride to get to this point. The last 5 or so days have been spent running around Delhi, taking the early morning train to Arga, home of the Taj Mahal.

While in Delhi the headline story of the Hindustan Times, one of the cities many English broadsheet dailies grabbed my attention.

Delhi, Verdict: Unsafe but fun
Crime- In 2005 there were 456 Murders and 455 Robberies, which means that if you where robbed you probably got killed so it didn't really matter.

safety of Women- In 2005 533 rapes were reported

But its not all bad news, the number of shopping centres and McDonald's was on the increase.

The people so far have been the real attraction. The nicknaks on offer really do not appeal so I've really been spending most of my free time talking to the shopkeepers, soldiers, rickshore drivers about all kinds of things. There are so many genuine Indians out there who are trying to make your travels easier, but it is hard to seek out there rare gems in the great desert that I now find myself. Tourism here is very low at the moment, so all these tourist based cities and towns I'm traveling in are feeling the pinch.


I will not bore you with the sights ive been visiting just yet, but i will try to upload some photos when i get the chance

No comments: