Friday, February 10, 2006

You Mean I Finally Have to Take the Sleeper Bus?

Yes, it happened last night, as I folded myself into the upper "sleeper" (weird name, i don't know if anyone has actually ever slept in one) two thoughts crossed my mind, how will I get out and I hope that large spider on the window is dead.

After 5 more minutes I had an answer to at least 1 of the questions, NO!

For those unacquainted with the phenomenon of the sleeper bus its quite simple to explain:

1. Take a regular bus
2. Sell it and buy 3 really old and crappy ones
3. Rip all the chairs out
4. Put a platform midway through the main body and pad the floors with the cheapest nastiest foam you can find in the local dump
5. Remove any trace of suspension
6. Download photos of state-of-the-art Volvo buses from the web and use these for promotional material
7. Now you have a sleeper bus

Unlike many of the sleeper bus routes that crisscross Rajasthan the roads between Hospet (Hampi) and Goa are considerably better, even still the driver did hit the brakes hard several times through the night to avoid potholes and the swearing and abuse that would inevitably follow.

After a lazy 4hrs at Madgao Train Station I boarded my train to Mumbai, or is it Bombay, (nobody really seems to care) and now after 27hrs of travel I have arrived in this throbbing metropolis, its time for bed.

No comments: