Wednesday, February 08, 2006

48hrs with no shower? No thanks!

After spending my bonus days in Cochin with Adi and Assaf (the lost Israelis) it was time to head out of Kerala and board the sleeper train to Bangalore, the high tech modern city of India.

Arriving at 4:30 on Sunday morning the city was still fast asleep. My idea of just bumming around the city for 18hrs until my connecting train to Hampi fell through as I began walking the seedier parts of the city (the only parts awake). I decided to check myself into a quiet little hotel and finally found one that was open and had a vacancy. Soon I was catching up on some sleep, some news and enjoying a mch needed hot shower, (but I had to wait until 6:30 when they turn the boiler on).

By 9:30 it was time to hit the town again. Now the streets that were all boarded up had blossomed into markets and stalls selling everything the average Bangalorian would ever need and surely much more. But I headed away for the markets and straight for MG Road and the shopping, I was here on a mission, a mission to shop. Luckily for me the sales were on and 40-50% discounts slashed the already great prices. Very soon I had bought more clothes than I could hold and as I began to consider where these purchases would actually fit in my backpack I headed to one of Bangalores more trendy outdoor coffee houses to spend time with the beautiful people.

After another shower and a short siesta it was time to check out and head back to the train station. In the morning when I left the station concourse was covered in a thick layer of bodies lying across the stone floor, some had old blankets, others only a few sheets of newspaper. As the lone security guard prodded the reluctant masses with a stick it was clear that his job was not going to be easy. When I returned that evening the picture was pretty much the same. Bodies everywhere, throbbing crowds and the most pushy touchy smelly people i have yet to come across.

As I passed through the concourse and onto my platform some engineering students started talking with me, soon the group of 3 turned to 5, then 12, 15, 18 and before I knew it 22 men where swarming around me asking me who my favorite Indian cricketer was, I dont even have a favorite Australian cricketer, but before I had to give an answer the crowd began asking the questions all young horny Indian males ask, sex quetions. The already uncomfortable situation took an expected turn for the worst and I looked to for chance to get out of there.

Soon I was back on board the now familiar surrounds of the sleeper cabin. The next morning I would be in Hampi.

No comments: