Friday, February 03, 2006

Don't Fall Asleep

After two fun filled days at Periyar it was time to get back on the road and head north. First stop Cochin to by tickets to Hampi, but is was not so straight forward.

Getting from Kumily-Periyar to Cochin is an epic in itself, a mini epic, but one full of ups and downs.

...to be continued

As my first solo bus trip I was keen to get to the station nice and early, and as such I had pick of all the seats in the bus. Naturally I wanted to go up front to enjoy the view and reduce the bumps. Good theory, but total failure in reality

Points to consider:
- BO of bus driver
- Constant use of extremely loud horn that seems to to aimed in your ear
- The poster of the Virgin Mary sticky taped to the back of the drivers chair that stares at you the whole trip.

For the next bus ride I decided to go to the very back of the bus, already forgetting the rollercoaster ride that the munnar-kumily trip was. As usual for the first 5 minutes the bus is more or less empty, but slowly but surely the bus fills and is soon overflowing. As I fought to stay awake, the guy next to me lost his personal battle and rested his head on my shoulder, I wasnt to bothered, but when we went over a very large pothole his head slammed back down on my shoulder. I was sure he would have been woken up by such a thud, but hejust stayed sleeping. Amazing.

I finally got into Ernakulam/Cochin at 4 and bought my ticket to Bangalore before heading back to Fort Cochin in search of accommodation and the lost Israelis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When is the next instalment coming!

Anonymous said...

Seems like ur having a real adventure and a great time.U must have some amazing photos can't wait to see them when u get home.